one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples.”
At the Savior’s command and formed by divine teaching, we dare to say:
Our Father, …
- 1Jn3:1Think of the love that the Father has lavished on us, by letting us be called God’s children; and that is what we are.
- 1Jn3:2My dear people, we are already the children of God but what we are to be in the future has not yet been revealed; all we know is, that when it is revealed we shall be like him because we shall see him as he really is.
- Mt5:44-46But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven, for he causes his sun to rise on bad men as well as good, and his rain to fall on honest and dishonest men alike.
- Mt5:48You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect.
- Mt6:3-4But when you give alms, your left hand must not know what your right is doing; your almsgiving must be secret, and you Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you. (Cf. Mt6:17-18).
- 2S7:4/1Ch17:13I will be a father to him and he a son to me.
- Rm8:19-20The whole creation is eagerly waiting for God to reveal his sons.
- Rm8:14-17Everyone moved by the Spirit is a son of God. The spirit you received is not the spirit of slaves bringing fear into your lives again; it is the spirit of sons, and it makes us cry out, ‘Abba, Father!’The Spirit himself and our spirit bear united that we are children of God. And if we are children we are heirs as well: heirs of God and coheirs with Christ, sharing his sufferings so as to share his glory.
- Gal4:4-7but when the appointed time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born subject of the Law, to redeem the subjects of the Law and to enable us to be adopted as sons. The proof that you are sons is that God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts: the Spirit that cries, ‘Abba, Father’, and it is this that makes you a son, you are not a slave anymore; and if God has made you son, then he has made you heir.
- Mk14:36‘Abba (Father)!’ he said ‘Everything is possible for you. Take this cup away from me. But let it be as you, not I, would have it.’
He who knows himself to be a son of God – whether the seas are calm or when the storm rages – knows no fear. God knows best what our real needs are; he is stronger than we are, and he is our Father. We must react like the child who, in the middle of a storm, continued playing while the sailors feared for their lives: he was the captain’s son. When after disembarking the child was asked how he was able to remain at ease, surrounded as he had been by a roaring sea and a terrified crew, he answered: Fear? Why? My father was at the helm.