We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. – That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. [Cf. America’s Founding Documents > Declaration of Independence: A Transcription].
I used to think, how obvious yet ingenious these words are. Today, for the first time, I see them riddled with error:
– We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal: true. [But only in the ways God makes us equals. One way men are equal, see gift of liberty below].
– that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights: false.
When God is in the picture, whatever we have from him are gifts and not rights. I have written elsewhere that the fatal error of these United States of America is framing things in terms of rights[i] vs. non-rights instead of good vs. evil.
– gift of life: true.
– gift of liberty: not defined what this means and false.
After the sin of Adam, according to Catholic teaching, all men but two are conceived with original sin and hence in bondage. The glorious liberty of the children of God [cf. Rm 8:21] is the gift of the Father through his Son Jesus Christ by the working of the Holy Spirit, and it is his wish that all men be saved and come to the full knowledge of the truth [cf. 1 Tm 2:4]. It is the Son who truly liberates [cf. Jn 8:32 & Jn 8:36].
– the pursuit of happiness: false.
This is neither a right nor a gift. The purpose of man is to do God’s will, to glorify God, to love him and serve him, herein lies his joy here, and his reward of happiness in the hereafter.
– That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men: The ruse and lie of the those penning the document.
– deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed: false.
All power is from above. [cf. Jn 19:11 & the Fourth Commandment].
Conclusion: America is a lie!
[i] “God and my Right.”
— Ivan un Católico (@twitivanp) March 1, 2017
“Modern democracy depends upon a hidden oligarchy [“oligarchie cachée” or perhaps, in the plural, “oligarchies cachées”?], which is contrary to its principles but indispensable to its functioning.” (François Furet, Penser la Révolution française (1978).
“That is to say, modern democracy is built upon—and depends upon—a deception.” (Arnaud de Lassus)